There is no batter way to keep your coffee hot than with a thermal
carafe. While some people are crazy about-serve coffee machines and
automatic pod brewers, there are still some of us who prefer using a
good ol’ fashion thermal carafe coffeemaker.
• Once you start comparing models and getting into the various options
and features, it can get overwhelming. If you are looking to buy the best
thermal carafe coffee maker for your money than make sure you cover
• Thermal carafes with a glass coffee carafe it is only the heating plate
that keeps the coffee hot. There is hardly any thermal insulation. It is not
a problem if you drink the coffee straight after brewing. However, come
back for a cup an hour later and you will be drinking, burnt, bitter coffee.
• The insulted design of a thermal carafe solves this problem. The coffee
goes in hot and stays hot. There is no need for reheating. All thermal
carafes offer temperature retention characteristics plus most of them do
not have plastic parts. Which means these coffee makers are very likely
to be free from BPA.
• However, there are other factors to consider before you decide which
one is best for you.
• Durability most insulted thermal carafes are made from double volume
stainless steel. They are easy to clean and can take a beating.
• But some people claim that stainless steel affects the taste of the coffee
and insist on a glass lining. That is all fine and dandy until the day you
knock over your carafe. But, by-bye glass. Not to mention that you will
have to clean up shards of broken glass along with the spilled brew and
wet grinds. Ugh!• The bottom line is thermal carafe coffee makers with a stainless steel
lining with last you a lot longer.
• Brew temperature the quality and taste of your brew has lot to do with
the temperature of your water. The idea brewing temperature range is
195-205 degrees Fahrenheit. So you want to be aiming for 200 deg F as
the thermal will drop a little as soon as it hits the coffee and the brewer.
Make sure the thermal carafe you end up choosing can reach, and
maintain this temperature range consistently.
• Remember, even the best thermal coffee maker can not keep coffee hot
when it cannot even get the water to its optimum temperature.
• Carafe capacity of the thermal carafe:
• Thermal coffee machines normally state their capacity in number of
cups. It is an indication of how many cups of coffee the brewer can make
in one go.
• But don’t automatically assume that bigger is better. Consider how many
cups you brew every time. If you are brewing a whole pot of coffee,
choose a 6,8, or even 12-cup brewer. However, if you are just looking to
make a single cup of coffee for yourself, consider single serve coffee
makers are your bet.
• Grinder the quality of your grinder will have a significant impact on your
brewed coffee. The convenience of having a coffee machine with a built-
in grinder is great but only if the grinder does a good job.
• If intend using the programmable auto-on function to get coffee brewing
before you wake up then it is good idea to get a machine with a built-in
grinder. The downside is that this kind of a machine will require
additional effort to clean up. Also, if you are particular about controlling
the grind-size then you are better off with a separate grinder.